Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

Jaguar XF I just took my car to a local garage as the red

Customer Question

Jaguar XF Hi I just took my car to a local garage as the red DPF full light has come on. I know I can clear the amber one but need to take it to a garage when red light on. They have told me that they have cleared all the codes but that I should take the car down the motorway to clear the red soot from the filter. I have two concerns 1) I don't think we can do this ourselves 2) the engine fault light is on on the car, will this make it worse. Should I take it to the local dealership tomorrow?
Thanks Tania
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 9 months ago.

Hi..there..

It depends on the saturation levels % wise within the DPF whether doing a good hard run on the motorway ideally will solve this. 20 mins minimum at around 50 mph in 4th..if its red then its means the DPF is reaching a critical point of blocking up..you could add a diesel addtive prior to doing so or use premuim diesel at the pumps..normally a forced regen might work but this is more a dealer level to carry that out..they may actually advise replacement if the DPF is beyond repair...but if the car seems to perform ok thena good run might help..if not then it will likely need further diagnoses dealer level..