Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a big problem with my passat B6 2.0 tdi 140 BKP.

Customer Question

Hello guys!!! I have a big problem with my passat B6 2.0 tdi 140 BKP. Unfortunately i am in trouble almost 2 months.The story started as i broke down the car just cut off and did not want to start.The recovery guy told me that my lift fuel pump in the tank is gone.I bought a new pump from FUELPARTS (uk) and fit it in and was working fine but really noisy seems something overload the pump.After 100 miles i broke down again and the new pump was gone...So i got another new pump by warranty and it is ecen noisier.I have changed the fuel filter,washed down the fuel tank and blasted the whole fuel lines.The local mechanic recommend to change the Tandem pump because has some fuel pressure valve inside and still the same issue.If somebody had the same problem before,Please HELP!!!
Category: Car
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNSi6MhIlpw this is a clip with the second genuine pump which is gone as well after 30 miles with this noise.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i bought this pump from the scrap yard and was working fine just 1-2 days then became noisy and gone after 30 miles..
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My original pump did the same thing before cut off.. :( i have checked the relay is ok and valtage to the pump is 11.7V before start the engine ..only with ignition on..
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I replaced the fuel filter body lid as well...
Expert:  Matt replied 8 months ago.

One other thing to try is to loosen off the fuel filler cap, as there’s a 1 way valve built into the cap to let air into the tank and so prevent a vacuum from being created as the fuel leaves the tank to the engine

If this helps then replace the cap with a new item

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
thanks for your answer but i have tried this as well not help :(
I am only wonder does this PD engine has fuel pressure valve??
Expert:  Matt replied 8 months ago.

not really, as each injector is its own self contained fuel pump so providing they are all fed with a reasonable level of pressure then they should work

I'd suggest to get a fuel pressure gauge onto the feed line to confirm that this is the issue

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i am agree with this but why the pump is noisy even only with ignition on when lifting fuel before to start the engine??
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
is it possible this aftermarket pumps to eb the issue or not.
Expert:  Matt replied 8 months ago.

pumps can become noisy when under a lot of load so either its restricted somehow or the exit is blocked

or its just plain faulty

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i have done full fuel line cleaning and no issues at all really confused me.Does the fuel pump working non stop,because my genuine pump always i can hear it for a minute after engine start and then seems stop..,but the aftermarket one is working non stop..
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
this lead me that the aftermarket pump is not diseigned to work properly,i have tried to new pumps and they become noisy even before to start the engine from the first fit..
Expert:  Matt replied 8 months ago.

hello

the lift pump should run for a few seconds on key on and then stop

once the engine is started the lift pump then runs as long as the engine does