Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Diesel FIAT Fiorino 16V 1.3cc van 63 reg; 1700 miles.

Customer Question

Started stalling and irregular revs when stationary - steering locks but no warning lights prior to this. Restart seems no problem.
Garage not id the problem via diagnostics. Problem started since fuelled an last week implying dirty fuel/flow of fuel to engine errors.
Have you any experiences like this and advise me accordingly?
Simon.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

if you haven't already then it’s also worth considering fitting a new fuel filter as if only slightly blocked this can lower fuel supply pressure and choke the main pump, the pump will be more sensitive to this when its cold as diesel thickens considerably with low temperatures.

You can also get this issue with contaminated fuel , if there’s water or dirt in the tank then either the petrol floats on top of the water or the filter sock on the pump is choked up – so if the other things check out then I’d consider pulling out the fuel pump and cleaning the filter sock

and consider might be worth trying some of the 'dry fuel additives on the market

like

http://www.wynns.eu/product/dry-fuel_consumer/

Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you