Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

Started my Citroen Dispatch HDi 55 plate and drove about 2

Customer Question

Started my Citroen Dispatch HDi 55 plate and drove about 2 miles to destination and switched the engine off.
After 15 minutes I started the engine and heard a loud noise coming from the engine, switched off and after a short time I restarted the engine and everything seemed to be normal. Drove home and switched engine off but engine kept running and after a time engine stopped then smoked came from engine compartment and after a few minutes smoke started to disappear.
Left the van overnight and checked it in the morning. Turned ignition key on but no lights on dashboard, no head or tail lights, no indicators, not even hazard warning lights, everything is dead and the smell of burnt rubber from the engine compartment. Checked the battery for life but it seems to be dead also.
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 11 months ago.

Hi..there..

Might be worth checking the serpentine belt hasnt failed or one the pulleys has done or even the alternator clutch pulley hasnt seized..that would stop the battery getting sufficent charge maybe reson it flat and your getting no responce..maybe try a jump start and see if that starts it after checking above..smell of burnt rubber certainly seems to point to that..so id say makes checks there if you havent done so already..