Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

Saab 9.5 2006 tdi 1.9 estate. Had secondhand gearbox fitted

Customer Question

Saab 9.5 2006 tdi 1.9 estate.
Had secondhand gearbox fitted and seemed ok but for annoying whirring noise like dry bearing on deceleration(clutch slowing car down)goes on re increase of speed.Could it still be thrust bearing or the gearbox.Must point out clutch was not changed on refit and though was told by Spanish garage thrust bearing was needed, thet fitted old one when couldn't get one quickly.
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

Hi..there..

What mileage was on the second hand gearbox?

What sort of advice or help are you looking for?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Mileage on gearbox not known,all I am looking for is guidance on possible causes of noise from the car.
It has the sound of a dry bearing and is present in every gear when lifting off accelerator and goes when accelerating.When the garage changed the gearbox the clutch unit was good so was put back.If I am wrong and not the thrust bearing it is a big job changing for no cure.Just considering any other thoughts from the experts. Very difficult here to discuss because of spanish language.The gearbox was from Ebay uk.
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

Ok..

Well the gearboxes in these cars M32,F40 arent known for their reliabilty often internal bearing wear failure on high mileage boxes is the most common cause normally starts in 6th,6 speed box in which you hear the noise most...If the noise changes in pitch each time the clutch is depressed and released then id say the thurst bearing is likely cause..if the noise is there at speed in all gears then likely the gearbox..its difficult to say 100% but maybe the best step would be to get it on a 2 post lift and run the car all through the gears whilst somebody under the car listens to see if the noise can be heard externally of the gearbox ..that may pin point it a little better

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Many thanks will pass on to garage.
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

No problem., glad to help...please dont forget to leave a rating for me before you log out..much appreciated..