Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Vw touareg not getting above 65 degrees temp, temp drops

Customer Question

vw touareg not getting above 65 degrees temp, temp drops when driving, iv changed the thermostat and the electric fans are on nearly all the time. could it be the temp censor?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

yes I'd agree that replacing the temp sensor is the next step as it controls the fans and also produces the signal to the gauge so in fact the engine may be warm enough? but the gauge is giving a false reading

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
hi, yes i thought that might be the case, but when i drive to work the gauge drops down to 50 degrees, and also its only averaging around 20 mpg
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

OK

in that case either the engine really isn't warming up or the sensor is faulty

I'd suggest the next step is to make a measurement of the engine temp with a thermal probe to confirm what temperature its actually reaching

as its possible that the thermostat is faulty so it may need replacing

Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you