Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a slight problem with my Skoda Octavia 1.4TSI 2012-13

Customer Question

Good morning all,
I have a slight problem with my Skoda Octavia 1.4TSI 2012-13 model. It has a clutch depress engine start. But the last couple of weeks, it has been unstable. I had AA recovery called out first time when it failed to startup. He did few diagnostics and finally managed to jump start it and worked. He advised me to take it to Halfords and do a baatery check.
I went to halfords and the battery showed fine. I took it to a local garage to run diagnostics and everything was fine and told me it was the battery sonwe changed it. But still I am having the same issues. In the morning or when the car is not run for few hours, I am getting the same problem. It takes me after many efforts and almost 5-10 mins of trying to start the car.
Your advice on this would be really appreciated.
Many thanks,
Nav
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

If you haven't already then I'd check the state of the engine earth connections both between the chassis and engine and the chassis and the battery earth

they need to be bright and clean and corrosion free

then check the state of the high power fuses ( 40A) in the engine bay fuse box and if the car has a 120A fuse on the battery lead then also check that too

Also check that the alternator is actually charging the battery in the car by taking a battery voltage reading with the engine off then another with the engine running. The 2nd reading should be higher than the 1st and climbing steadily. And also check that the alternator is secure to the engine as this provides the ground for the charging circuit and make sure that the engine / gearbox earth strap is secure and the contacts are clean and bright.

if the alternator appears not to be working - take it to a electrical specialist and ask them to test it as sometimes you can replace just the diode pack and this will repair the alternator without requiring replacement

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I had to call recovery this morning. The mechanic did run diagnostics and suggested it might be the circuit between the ignition and starter motor or the starter moto itself. The car is now in the garage. The mechanics will be looking into the fault in the next few few days.
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

understood Nav

this sounds like they may have to replace the ignition switch as there a few associated issues and service bulletins with these cars on that area