Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech
29331485

My 1999 Toyota Amazon Land Cruiser 4.2L has recently

Customer Question

My 1999 Toyota Amazon Land Cruiser 4.2L has recently developed an intermittent loss of power combined with a knocking noise from the top of the engine.
Category: Car
Expert:  Greg replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I'm Greg (Indy-Tech).
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.
Rgds Greg.

Expert:  Greg replied 7 months ago.

Is the knocking noise also intermittent .

Is the check engine light ON or flashing when the engine is running .

Rgds Greg

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Greg.
The knocking noise is also intermittent and occurs simultaneously with the loss of power. Some people would refer to it as a loud diesel knock.The first time that the problem occurred it lasted for a short distance and then power was completely restored and the noise disappeared. Since then the vehicle had only covered approx 100 miles in total in a series of short journeys as it would now be considered as unreliable.
The problem doesn't seem to be evident at the initial start up but would manifest itself within a few minutes into a journey.
The check engine light hasn't been ON since this problem first occurred. I have just checked the engine management light and it would appear that it may not be working at all as it doesn't come on when the ignition is initially turned on. Maybe just a faulty bulb.
I have been driving this vehicle for the past 15 years and always found it very reliable, I hope that information helps you in some way to solving the problem.
Terry.
Expert:  Greg replied 7 months ago.

Hi Terry ,

This sounds like a typical injector issue .see if your repair shop can do a manual cylinder balance test

to see if the injectors are the problem.

This is where the engine running at idle and hot is to loosen up one injector at a time until diesel comes out

the cylinder then will drop rpm and when you re-tighten it back up the rpm should stabilize do this to each cylinder ajy cylinder no even with the others is the problem injector .the knock will also subside when the bad injector is found.

Try this then get back to me ..

Greg