Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

My astra 04 reg problem it starts up runs o;k for 3 milels

Customer Question

my astra 04 reg problem it starts up runs o;k for 3 milels when I stop engine
cuts out then I start engine again but it stops at every set of lightsi turn ignition
on agan the revs go really high3,000 then settles can you advise
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.

Hi...there..

What engine does it have?

Any recent work done on the car - if so what?

Any warning lights come on since this occurred?

When it cuts out - is it instant or does engine stumble and cut out?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
1.4 none - no just the car service sign- it just cuts out like switching off
Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.

Ok..

Well the car/spanner symbol is not a service light..the warning your seeing is actually an engine management light..Vauxhall models of that age bring up INSP for a service light....As far as your problem goes id say it likely or possible you either have bad EGR valve..if it stuck or sticking then it can cause the car to cut when slowing up at junctions or lights etc...there are several ways of testing which can be done diagnostically or the use of EGR tester to independantly test the egr itself..so id say that would be good place to start..if thats seems to be ok the next areas to check is the throttle body / intake leaks / fuel pressure / crank sensor signal...but as above before you even get anyone to look at these things..you would need to get the car scanned first for codes..that way you have something to go on fault codes wise and if it is and egr valve at fault..so that your next step from here....Hope this helps.... Any further questions? if not - then please dont forget to leave a rating..thank you