Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I am looking to buy a 2003 2.9 T6 ES auto, when I was test

Hi, I am looking to buy a 2003 2.9 T6 ES auto, when I was test driving it, I pulled out onto a road when I accelerated there was a slight juddering for a second or two whilst changing from either 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd. After which all changes were smooth. I have been on the web trying to find out why it does this and reading some sites they indicate trouble with the gear box. They also say that this is a well documented. Can you please advise?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Car
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I would be happy to wait until you find an answer thank you.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

hello

due to the age of the car there are a number of possibilties

1) faulty ignition system -such as coil pack or spark plug

2) low fuel pressure, due a faulty fuel pump or clogged filter

3) vacuum / air leak on the engine intake

4) dirty / worn out transmission fluid

5) cracked or worn engine mounts

6) clogged filter in the gearbox

7) sticking gearshift solenoid

now none of these are particularly expensive to put right but if you're not doing the work yourself then you could end up paying several hundred pounds in labour to solve the issue

so I'd either look elsewhere or use the issue as a bargaining point to drive the price down

Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years