Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I have a problem my my car it says engine fault on the

Customer Question

Hi I have a problem my my car it says engine fault on the dashboard and when I drive it when Iam in the right gear it feels like it stugling like it not fireing on all ceilenders please can you help
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

Hi..there..

Firslty you'll need to find out exactly what faults codes are being logged in the ecu before you can take steps to investigate the problem or issue...so if you have scanner you can plug then you can let me know what codes they are and i can helps further..or any good garage can do it for you..that being said when the engine light does come on then this can put the car into limp home mode which is reduced power mode the ecu sets the car in..thus you dont get the full power as before..but once the problem is dealt with then it will be back to normal..so there is alot of potential issues related to the engine light so it would be hard to pin it to one area for you to check out..but normally on these depending which engine code you have..its likely a air fuel ratio fault.which in turn could mean bad ignition coil or emissions fault/bad oxygen sensor so of course the engine afr will be effected..but once you knwo these fault codesthen you'll have better understanding whats needs to be checked here..hope this helps