Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

We just bought a Bentley continental 6.0 GT Coupe, petrol,

Customer Question

We just bought a Bentley continental 6.0 GT Coupe, petrol, auto. Mulliner package. She's very nice, but it's my first time driving a car which is so computerised. Main problem is: the air con. It seems awful. Have it on auto..then LOW etc... but she's unbearable and rubbish compared to my Mercedes CL 500, my Lexus RX etc etc. All freezing cold in minutes. Hers feels like someone gently blowing luke warm air in my face. All my cars are black.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

hello

the AC performance should be 1st class so there's likely something amiss

1st thing to check is that the AC rad / condenser is clear of any debris and there's nothing in front of the air flow to it, next ensure that the AC pump drive belt isn't slipping and if any doubt replace it.
Also check that if there's a pollen filter to the cabin air inlet that this is clean and free flowing
Next you can test components simply by checking the temperatures by touching them with the system running. with the engine at operating temperature and the AC turned on it should be as follows:
A hot compressor / pump
A hot high pressure refrigerant line from the compressor to the condenser
A hot condenser on the inlet
A warm condenser on the outlet
A warm liquid line from the condenser to the evaporator (before the expansion valve or orifice tube)
A cold evaporator outlet line
A cold low pressure refrigerant line to the compressor

If you get a different result from the above then suspect a blockage in the line or the component whose temperature is abnormal, this can be confirmed with a pressure test

Then if you're happy the temperature control is OK ( does it do hot as well as cold?) I'd take the car to an garage that can read the pressure levels of the system so the level of gas can be checked hopefully all it needs is a re-gas

Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you