Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

What is the correct brake bleeding sequence for a 2011

Customer Question

What is the correct brake bleeding sequence for a 2011 Hyundai i20?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 1 month ago.

Hi..there..

Has the brake system been completely emptied?

What sort of work has been done on the brakes?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have not done any work on the car as yet. All I wanted to know is the correct brake bleeding sequence for my i20 before I take it for the MOT. Also is there something I need to be aware of when working on car brakes with ABS? I used to service my own motorcycle with ABS and this requires bleeding the system in a particular order. I have serviced non ABS car brakes in the past.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 month ago.

Hi..ok..

If your bleeding the brakes then normally you start from the bleeder furthest away side/corner to the ABS or master cylinder and then work your way in to the closest bleeder at the front..if your flushing the system..then as you bleed you need to make sure the master cylinder is always topped up..do not let it run dry...but bleeding generally is the same method as non abs..- the only thing you should be aware of is when pushing back the callipers..ensure its done slowly.and you monitor the master cylinder each time to ensure the master isnt over flowing...you could of course attach a clear line into a bottle filled with brake fluid to the bleeder and open it whilst pushing back..but its optional..ive done it many times pushing back pistons without opening the bleeder and never come across any ABS problems on any car..you just need to do it slowly at an even speed and you should be fine after that..of course making sure you pump the brake prior to driving..