Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

2005 Jeep Cherokee Sport manual diesel with 90,000 miles on

2005 Jeep Cherokee Sport manual diesel with 90,000 miles on it. (in England). Usually driven twice a week putting about 40 miles on it of mixed highway and city driving. Transmission was worked on a few years back. It permanently slips out of first gear with a horrid bang so we never use it - just go straight to 2nd. Has been perfect on the road for years, except in the past few months has sometimes upon cold starting has run for a few seconds, then died and needed fuel pumping about 20 pushes to restart. That has worked all 3 times its happened. Oil change 6,000 miles back, checked and added some two weeks ago.
This afternoon it drove perfectly 18 miles to the store. On return, it started surging as if I was not consistent on the accelerator. I drove home slowly, but when nearly home it started growling and putting out a small blue oil cloud. It's now sitting in the drive sulking and I'm having a small panic attack.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

1st consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this will reduce pressure a the main pump

I'd also check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.

If both of these are OK then also check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.

If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues and its best to have the boost pressure measured actually measured with a boost gauge to check that the turbo is healthy and that the sensor is reading correctly

If its a variable vane turbo (they’ll be an actuator on the turbo body - but not a wastegate) then check its vacuum pipework as above and check the connections to the diaphragm / solenoid valve

Also worth checking that the glow-plug relay is switching off as they can stick on and leave the glow plugs also on - on some cars this can force it into limp home

Also worth considering adding a bottle of injector cleaner into the tank as a clogged injector nozzle will reduce power and give poor combustion - the next stage on from this is to remove all the injectors and have them ultrasonically cleaned and flow checked