jeep10000
jeep10000,
Experience:  dasdasd
12365498

Please can you tell me if the following would make an engine

Please can you tell me if the following would make an engine seize:- cam belt and water pump not changed at 100,000 miles
- flywheel replacement needed (just found out)My engine just died on my vauxhall insignia :-( apparently it will cost £2,000 plus to get a new one, along with the cost of also needing to replace the flywheel (£700-£800)Any advice would be helpful.Thank YouKyana
Category: Car
Expert:  jeep10000 replied 2 months ago.
Hello and welcome to just answer. .My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Chris, many thanks. I look forward to your reply.
Kyana, if the timing belt broke and/or the water pump failed, then yes the engine would sieze due to the pistons hitting and breaking valves in the cylinder head. The flywheel would not cause this, but timing belt would.Chris
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The timing belt has not broke and still looks in tact, I'm not sure the water pump has failed I would have to double check
Ok, then if it did not break, then that would not be related to engine sieze. Did it overheat?
Hello?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No it didn't appear to overheat. It just broke down on the motorway. I was waiting a very long time for the Breakdown recovery which killed the battery, which they charged but the engine still would not start.
Ok, well the timing belt and water pump should be replaced due to mileage at least. What did they say the reason is that the flywheel needs to be replaced?
Chris
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Its worn and making a rattling noise when I drive. Sorry I can't remember the official reason at the moment. Looks like I'll buying parts to make a new car! All the repairs will cost about £3,000. My local mechanic told me that not replacing the cam belt could have caused the engine seize, so I wanted to double check. I've only had the car for 2.5 years so it's a bit of shock for the engine to seize like that.
I agree. Well get the work done and the vehicle should be good for many more years as long as you do regular maintenance like oil changes, etc.
I hope that this information is helpful and if so, would you kindly take a moment and rate my service or accept my answer using the just answer star rating system? I would really appreciate it. I will still be able to help you out even after you rate me.Thank you!
Chris
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can I ask ask one last question, is it possible to free a seized engine? Someone mentioned it to me.
Possibly. If it is not severely siezed, it can be turned with a breaker bar. Worth a try at least.
Chris
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok I'll try and speak to the mechanic to see if they tried that. I know they tried a few things including Crank, and bypassing the engine and still nothing. Many thanks for your help.
You are very welcome! Glad I was able to help you out a bit. Now maybe you can help me out by taking a moment to rate my service or accept my answer using the just answer star rating system. I would really appreciate it. I will still be able to help you out even after you rate me.
Chris