Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

My car is a Saab 9-5 ,'03 reg., 122,000 miles, which has

Hello, My car is a Saab 9-5 ,'03 reg., 122,000 miles , which has been regularly serviced and carefully looked after. A couple of weeks ago I started to hear a high pitched noise while driving which seemed to be coming from the engine bay . It did not have any affect on the car's driveability but I took the car to the ' one man band ' who does all the regular servicing on the car. His view , after about half an hour of listening and looking at it from all angles including putting the car up on the ramp , was ( I think I have recalled this right ) that a bearing in the motor that drives the power steering and other things had probably gone . He recommended I take the car to a Saab specialist.
However ,these are now few and far between and I don't know of one locally. Then a couple of days later when I started the car one morning I heard a loud rattle. I immediately turned the ignition off and haven't touched the car since whilst pondering what to do next as obviously I am loath to drive the car anywhere.
Any views would be much welcomed !John Lofthouse.
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 25 days ago.

Hi..there..

You mean the Alternator was found to have internal bearing noise?..if thats the case then im not sure why your mechanic would suggest a specialist for that job or changing it out....Normally if noise is found to be coming from the belt side..unless its obvious the source of the noise .then you remove the main belt first..start the engine up and see if the noise is still present..if its not? then you've pretty much narrowed it down..and it bascially a case of inspecting each pulley in turn to see if any are showing signs of wear or slack or seizure...the only thing you can do now is see yourself exactly what occurred..if you look down the side of the engine where the main belt is follow it around until you come to the alternator which is at the back lower side of the engine and see if the pulley is still intact..or if you can reach the belt and its loose then its likely failed..these engine have an alternator with an extended clutch pulley so they are quite prone to failure..and normally they always start off by producing a loud whine noise until eventual failure...but the main thing now is to either see for yourself what the situation is at that side..and then likely if the alternator has failed either get someone out to the car to fit another one in or have it towed to another garage willing to carry out the replacement..finding saab specialist these days would be pretty hard to find..but considering the saab of these years shared the same base as the Vauxhall Vectras then replacing the alternator isnt much of a difficult task albeit an awkward job due to its location..hope this helps