Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli,
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

Focus, 2002, 1.8 TDCI. Has started dying on me while

Focus, 2002, 1.8 TDCI . Has started dying on me while driving. Thought it may be battery terminal clamps but removed and cleaned, lubricated and tightened. It has died again today and only seemed to restart after 10 minute 'cool-off'. (I'd only been driving 10 mins locally). I noticed that the "Glow plug" light was flashing but didn't think it would cause the engine to stop while motoring. difficult pushing the car to side of a bust road with no power steering. Any advice would be appreciated.
Category: Car
Expert:  Peter Zavarelli replied 28 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The glow plug light flashing can indicate a fault is detected by the engine computer.If the glow plugs were at fault it would not cause the engine to shut down as heat build up and compression keep it running without glow plug operation.

What will cause this issue though that you have here is a fault with the crank position sensor.Most engines use a crank position sensor and this sensor can fail to send the proper signals intermittently and causes a stall out.In most all cases the vehicle then has to sit and cool to be able to restart which is anywhere from 30 seconds to an hour or more ( in this case 10 minutes) then the sensor starts to work again.I have seen this sensor fail several times before in the past and had to replace it for this issue here.

I would have the fault codes read out/checked with a compatible scan tool to see what codes are set and then those codes diagnosed to then help locate and repair this issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete