Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 2002 polo automatic .its a superb little car for me

hello i have a 2002 polo automatic .its a superb little car for me but just one problem every now and then it will just stall .it starts up again no problem but very awkward when i am in traffic had it in garage several times but cant find a cause carol
Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: thats all been done
Assistant: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: vw polo automatic
Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no its been in garage several times had loads differant thing checked on it diagnostics etc
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

can you tell me what engine size and fuel type this is please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hi matt sorry didnt respond sooner just got in from work . it is petrol and 1.4 first reg 29jul 2002
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

This could be a wiring issue as things tend to expand when hot and its possible a poor or partial electrical connection is being pushed apart on one of the major sensors so check the connection plug and wiring to the following;
Airflow meter
Crank position sensor
Cam position sensor
O2 sensor
Throttle position sensor

unplug each in turn and use some switch / contact cleaner spray on the pins to ensure its all grease / dirt free

Also worth checking the connections to the fuel pump for the same reason - unplug each in turn and give them a good squirt of switch / contact cleaner - Not WD40

and also unplug and inspect the main power relays and fuses for signs of overheating or corroded terminals - so the ones for the ECU and the fuel pump

And also unplug the wiring loom connections in the engine bay one at time and inspect for corroded or recessed pins.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thank you matt will get that all checked out will pass on to you if all goes well . carol
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

no problem

just get back to me on this post