Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My 350z has a flat battery. The car is an import (2003) and

My 350z has a flat battery. The car is an import (2003) and is locked under alarm. The key will not open the door as the alarm dead-lock overrides the key lock so there is no access to the car to open bonnet to re-charge or change the battery.....a kind of circular conundrum.
Have you experience of this and is there a simple workaround. (Preferably not involving smashing a window).
Many thanks in advance.
J.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

A flat battery means you can't get the deadlock or alarm system to release its grip

I'd start by charging the battery you should be able to do this via the cigarette lighter / accessory socket. You'll need the appropriate attachment for your charger but car accessory shops sell these- Alternatively if you can't get into the car/ boot the other way to do this is jack the car up so you can get under the front.

Locate the starter motor and the large power cable that runs to it - connect the positive battery charger lead to this terminal

then connect the charger negative lead to the metal of the engine block

This should complete the charging circuit and get some power into the battery allowing you into the car

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for the information. At least we do not have to break a window. We will try to get someone to do this for us as the car is currently stuck in the drive and in an awkward position to work on.
Thanks also for the fairly prompt response.
Best Regards,
John.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

no problem John

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you