Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have replaced the front calipers on my nissan xtrail T30

I have replaced the front calipers on my nissan xtrail T30 2007 & bled the brakes in sequence (Rear right brake→Front left brake→Rear left brake→Front right brake) but still have air in the system, do I need to bleed the ABS unit as well if so how is done. If this is not the problem what is the best way to remove the airlock any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks Paul
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

as you've bled all corners then it could be a flexible brake line is ballooning under pressure, this can't always be seen from the outside so to test this use a hose clamp on each line in turn to close off then lines one at time . Push the pedal in between and see if you can feel any difference as each line is closed off.

if this doesn't help then its possible that you need to run the ABS pump to move any trapped air inside
the dealer method is to use the diagnostic tool to cycle the ABS during bleeding

however I've had good results buy just taking the car for short drive and stamping on the pedal at low speed to lock the brakes and trigger the ABS
and then re-bleed