Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli,
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

My daughter's A class manual Mercedes engine switched off on

My daughter's A class manual Mercedes engine switched off on 3 occasions while on a motorway when in cruise control mode when her knee hit against the ignition key.. Terrifying incidents.no injuries...
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Car
Expert:  Peter Zavarelli replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If this occurs when her knee hit the key area or key itself this can be a fault with the electronic ignition switch ( EIS ).Usually a key wont cause this as when the key fails it prevents it from starting but an internal fault in the electronic ignition switch can cause an issue like this here.

The dealer will check fault codes as this will help them to locate the fault.It is a good idea to tell the dealer exactly how this occurs so they can drive and try to duplicate it to see if this helps them pinpoint the fault but this does sound like the EIS is at fault needing replaced possibly.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you very much Pete.. You have been really helpful with this very worrying problem... I'll let her know what you said so she is adequately 'armed' when she has the car examined at the Mercedes Dealership next Monday... Best wishes.. Hugh O'Donnell.. Keep up the good work...

Your welcome

If you need anything else let me know.

Thanks Pete