Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Difficult starting when cold. I have tried to change the

Hi difficult starting when cold. I have tried to change the glow plugs but could not see where they are on my 2008 2.2 crtd santa fe.
Assistant: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Do you know what they look like?
Customer: not at the moment,
Assistant: What year is your Santa Fe?
Customer: 2008
Assistant: Are you fixing your Santa Fe yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. I have removed the intercooler and plastic engine cover.
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: POOR STARTING IN COLD WEATHER
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Car
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sometimes when the weather is not cold it will start immediately but not fire on all cylinders for a second or two.
It never has any problem once the engine is warm, only starting from cold.
I expected to see the glow plugs after removing the intercooler and engine cover but could not see them anywhere.
It is a 16 valve CRTD engine.
Expert:  Matt replied 29 days ago.

I'd agree that checking the glow plugs is a good place to start

I'd check that you're getting full power to the glow-plugs, they pull a lot of current so take care when checking but see if the relay is clicking when the ignition is turned on first and also check the fuse if this is OK check to see if the engine earth strap is also OK.

If the plugs haven't been changed in the last 20K then they may have to be replaced.
You can test the glow-plugs with a multimeter by measuring the resistance across the plug ( between the power connection and the body) it should be around 4-8ohms if its tending to infinity / open circuit the plug is faulty or by using a clip on current clamp, either on the supply wire to glow plugs or onto engine earth, with glow plug light on you should see 15-20amps for each glow plug fitted, 4 cylinders would be approximately 60-80amps.

on this engine the glow plugs are in the middle of the engine much like a spark plug

see the attached image