Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Ix20diesel poor start in cold morning. does it have glow

Customer Question

ix20diesel poor start in cold morning. does it have glow plugs
Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: yes car turns over no problem
Assistant: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?
Customer: 2011 ix20 1.4 crdi blue stop start
Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no had friend look at it said he couldnt find glow plugs to change them
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 28 days ago.

yes it does have glow plugs but they are tucked away on the exhaust side / back of the engine

if you look at the attached image the arrows point at the plastic cover for the glow plug wiring loom

disconnect that and you'll see the glow plug connections

I'd check that you're getting full power to the glow-plugs, they pull a lot of current so take care when checking but see if the relay is clicking when the ignition is turned on first and also check the fuse if this is OK check to see if the engine earth strap is also OK.

If the plugs haven't been changed in the last 20K then they may have to be replaced.
You can test the glow-plugs with a multimeter by measuring the resistance across the plug ( between the power connection and the body) it should be around 4-8ohms if its tending to infinity / open circuit the plug is faulty or by using a clip on current clamp, either on the supply wire to glow plugs or onto engine earth, with glow plug light on you should see 15-20amps for each glow plug fitted, 4 cylinders would be approximately 60-80amps.

Also if its not injecting at all then check the connections to the crankshaft sensor, unplug it and check for corroded contacts and broken wiring, and consider fitting a new sensor - do the same for the cam position sensor
If the EGR valve is stuck open then this too can effect starting so try disconnecting it to see if this helps or changes anything

Could also be an injector leaking fuel back through the overspill pipe, so not getting enough fuel pressure to tell ECU to fire the injectors, this is trickier to find and you’ll need the garage to do a ‘run back’ test to identify which one is the issue
Lastly it’s also worth considering fitting a new fuel filter as if only slightly blocked this can lower fuel supply pressure and choke the main pump, the pump will be more sensitive to this when its cold as diesel thickens considerably with low temperatures.

Expert:  Matt replied 26 days ago.

do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Having a problem finding the glow plugs. How far down the back of the engine from the top are they. Is it better to get them from underneath. What is the Socket sizes required to replace them.
Expert:  Matt replied 25 days ago.

the plugs are screwed into the cylinder head

and the hex is quite small 10mm across flats i think

look for the 4 thick wires running across the engine

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Ive had another look. I have the plastic cover carrying the wires with the 4 wires going over the top. I have nothing underneath. Also this photo you've attached does not represent the same as my engine. The cowling is a different shape and is far closer to the head.
Expert:  Matt replied 25 days ago.

hello

OK if you follow the wires back to the engine they should be attached to the glow plugs?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
are you saying now that the glow plugs and injectors are combined on the top of the engine. If so, These appear to be clamped into the cylinder head. Obviously the screw that is holding down a fork clamp would require to be torqued. Is this something i can replace or does it require a garage.
Expert:  Matt replied 25 days ago.

hello

all of the fasteners should be torqued back up ? but they don't have to be replaced

so if you have a torque wrench you can re-tighten them

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Since we've now agreed that they are on the top(with the injector) not at the back where you said, how will i know which injector is faulty? do you just check like a normal glow plug? When I buy a replacement can I just refit to the engine or does there have to be any setting up for the engine. I assume I don't need to buy a complete set of 4
Expert:  Matt replied 25 days ago.

yes you should be able to check any glow plug by measuring the resistance

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
you did not read my questions right. your answer seems vague picking out a piece of it and giving an answer you've already supplied. please read my previous message again
Expert:  Matt replied 25 days ago.

I'm going to opt out and open this up to others