Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My fiat panda's engine management light comes on and

my fiat panda's engine management light comes on and sometimes the engine cuts out when I change down to second gear as I brake going downhill or over speed bumps. the em light sometimes comes on briefly if I hit a bump in the road.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 26 days ago.

if the issue is being set off by bumps in the road then its very likely a poor connection somewhere

This could be a wiring issue as things tend to expand when hot and its possible a poor or partial electrical connection is being pushed apart on one of the major sensors so check the connection plug and wiring to the following;

Airflow meter
Crank position sensor
Cam position sensor
O2 sensor
Throttle position sensor

unplug each in turn and use some switch / contact cleaner spray on the pins to ensure its all grease / dirt free

Also worth checking the connections to the fuel pump for the same reason - unplug each in turn and give them a good squirt of switch / contact cleaner - Not WD40

and also unplug and inspect the main power relays and fuses for signs of overheating or corroded terminals - so the ones for the ECU and the fuel pump

And also unplug the wiring loom connections in the engine bay one at time and inspect for corroded or recessed pins.

Also its worth checking that the electric pump that feeds the injectors is working correctly, it should run for a few seconds then switch off when you first turn the ignition on. If the connections to this are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse, ideally measure the voltage at the pump and check its getting 12V

it would also be worth pluggin in a scan tool / diagnostic device to see if there's a stored code that will point to the fault

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
thanks for specifying the probable areas , I took it back to fiat dealer but he couldn't see anything on his diagnostics. your advice gives me areas to look at.
Expert:  Matt replied 26 days ago.

no problem

just get back to me on this post

Expert:  Matt replied 20 days ago.

do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you