Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have broke the transponder ring on my car ignition barrel,

i have broke the transponder ring on my car ignition barrel, so car wont start as it is not picking up from the key. The car is a toyota starlet how do i fix it
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 24 days ago.

you can replace the transponder ring however it will then need the Toyota diagnostic tool to re-synchronise the ECU to the security system

you need the correct tool from the 1996 era too, the later software won't do the trick I'm afraid

if you can tell me your location I'll to locate a specialist in your area

http://www.alastair-reid.co.uk/specialist-servcing/other-models/japanese-cars/768-service-repair-diagnostics-Toyota-Starlet-in-perth__

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I live in Hartlepool. Is there not another way around the problem
Expert:  Matt replied 24 days ago.

Ok

well its worth trying the re-sync procedure:

The vehicle should be in the following condition-
A. The key is NOT in-
serted in the ignition,
B. The driver's door IS open,
C. The driver’s door is
UNLOCKED.

2. Insert the Key into the ignition switch and then pull it out.

3. Press the Master Door Lock Switch 5 times from Lock to Unlock.

4. Close the Driver's door then open it.

5. Repeat step #3.

6. Now select the mode by inserting the key into the Ignition Switch and turning it to the "Run" or "On" position. The programming mode is determined by the amount of times you go from “key off” to the "key on" position and back before pulling the key out.

A. 1 time is the "Add" mode. This is used only on some models and it allows you to add a remote to the already existing remotes. The ECU confirms this by locking and unlocking the door locks automatically after you remove the key.

B. 2 times is the second mode which will erase all previously programmed remotes and allow you to program new ones. The ECU confirms this mode by locking and unlocking the door locks twice after you remove the key

C. 3 times is the third mode which tells you how many remotes are already programmed to the ECU. It confirms this locking and unlocking the door locks the amount of times applicable to the remotes coded. If no remotes are programmed then the ECU locks and unlocks the door locks 5 times. The ECU will hold up to 4 remotes at any one time.

7. Press the Lock and Unlock buttons on the remote simultaneously for 1.5 sec and then press either button by itself for 1 sec.

8. The ECU will perform the Lock/Unlock automatically to confirm that the 1st remote is stored by the ECU. Repeat step 7 immediately with another remote and continue until all remotes are registered.

9. Shut the driver’s door and try all remotes.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
My car has a manual locking system. The imoboliser/transponder ring is purely for the starting of the car. If I could bypass or cancel the key recognition, that would do me fine. The ring literaly broke into pieces when I tried to prise it of
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I don't need to have the security feature as the car is nearly 22 years old but it drives beautifully
Expert:  Matt replied 24 days ago.

OK

if its got the Toyota 'security system' then its possibly a Toyota S1000 VIP in which case if you can locate the main alarm unit then disconnecting the small bus (the one with only one wire) from the box will disable

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
The car does not have an alarm system. I just meant the security of the imoboliser ring recognising the chip in the key. If I could do away with that system I would be happy
Expert:  Matt replied 24 days ago.

Ok

I don't have that information

I'd suggest in getting in contact with this firm whom have a lot of starlet experience and may be able to help

http://www.tuningdevelopments.co.uk/index.php?cPath=502_520_588&osCsid=qjmrn40do9csrrh9sdf37lsia2

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Thank You for that. I will give them a go. There must be a way of dismantling the key recognition system