Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli,
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

I own a 2007 mercedes ml280 w164 and im experiencing an

Customer Question

hi there. i own a 2007 mercedes ml280 w164 and im experiencing an issue with the seat belts..by what ive read so far on the internet, it could be an issue with the pre-safe system..while im driving, all the seat belts retract and ( if the driver window is open), it will close almost close to the end, leaving just and one inch and half open. Can you please advise what should i do ( besides going to a dealship..). Thank you!
Category: Car
Expert:  Peter Zavarelli replied 22 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This does sound like a fault with the pre safe engaging due to the computers thinking you are in a skid situation.This can be due to a fault with a failing wheel speed sensor sending a false signal needing replaced or an issue with a component like a failing yaw rate sensor needing replaced.The fault codes have to be read out with a compatible scan tool or computer that will plug into your vehicle to see what codes are set.Once this is done any codes set then need diagnosed to then locate and repair this issue here.If no codes are set I would drive the vehicle with a compatible scan tool plugged into it to monitor the speed sensor signals to locate the faulty sensor needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
hi there! thank you for your reply! ive just been in today at a mercedes specialist and used STAR to diagnose the car..no faults what so ever! dont know if its related, but ive had today replaced a caliper as it got blocked and worn out the brake pads on the right front wheel...could this be a cause that triggered the pre safe to malfunction( or to read in an error the parameters)? also, did i read corectly...is there a sensor behind the mercedes sign that could be dirty and also be able to trigger the pre safe?

O.k.,that worn brake pad and caliper issue is most likely related.If that wheel speed sensor on that wheel area is reading an incorrect wheel speed signal it will cause the computer to try and brake that wheel which will wear it down like you had to replace as well as cause the pre safe to engage.There usually wont be any codes set.What needs to be done is to have the vehicle driven with a scan tool or dealers sds machine plugged into your vehicles data port to monitor the wheel speed sensor signals.Once this is done I suspect it will be seen that the wheel that had the worn brake will show its wheel speed sensor signal as reading incorrect compared to the others and the sensor will need replaced.I dont know of a sensor behind the sign myself that can cause this issue.Usually it is a failing wheel speed sensor or yaw rate sensor at fault.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
thank you so much Peter! i will talk to my mechanic and try to read the speed sensors during driving! i already rated you 5 star! ill keep in touch with you! thank you and have a great evening! Alex

Your welcome

If you need anything else on this let me know here on this post.

Thanks Pete