Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech
29331485

We have a 2008 3.6 Range Rover vogue (60.000 miles) which

Customer Question

Hi. We have a 2008 3.6 Range Rover vogue (60.000 miles) which was misfuled at a ratio of about 50/50. The fault was not noticed for two weeks, lots of short trips to the village and back, the car began to give off white smoke which we put down to the cold weather and it became increasingly difficult to start, The car cut out twice but ran quietly after stopping and restarting the engine, for this reason I had it checked by an injection company who said there was fuel in the diesel tank. They drained the tank, changed the filter and filled with diesel. However whilst idling in the workshop the engine made some loud noises and the guy turned it off within a few seconds. The oil in the sump was black and thin and spelt of petrol, it had been serviced two months before.
My insurers agree that any damage to the injectors and fuel pump would be covered but not the damage to the lower engine, (£9.000) because it is impossible for fuel to enter the sump, it would be burned off and show damage to the heads and rings.I have read an item in the Telegraphs motoring section which shows that Diesel can bypass
the bore and drain into the crank housing so I assume that diesel diluted with petrol could also make that journey only easier. Once the petrol mix is in the sump serious damage can be done. Has anyone any experience of misfuleing causing lower enjine damage? Many thanks.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Car
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Any reply likely soon?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

I've not heard of pistons and bores being damaged by misfuelling, unless you have had 1 or more injectors that were constantly leaking or on all the time

I'd say the next step is to perform a borescope inspection of the engine ( unless its now fully stripped) to check the cylinder bores for signs of wear and if the bearings are damaged

but unless the oil has been very diluted by the fuel then the base engine should be fine once the injectors and pump are replaced

Expert:  Greg replied 1 month ago.

name is ***** ***** I am a Automotive expert here at Just Answer.
I Just noticed that your question had not received a reply and thought I would see if you still need help with this.
I'm sorry for the long delay and I hope I can still assist you with this question .
I had seen no one else has replyed and would like to know if I can till help you.
If you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.
let me know by useing the reply tab so we can continue .
Remember in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without being in front of it.
Kindest regards Greg.

Expert:  Greg replied 1 month ago.

Hi .

Yes I've been though this with the same engine in a discovery .

What happens is the injectors leak due to petrol damage to the seals inside the injectors and possibly the pump.

oil diluted with petrol can cause internal engine problems piston and liner damage ,main and rod bearing damage .

With the injectors leaking when engine switched off diesel will leak and sit in the combustion chamber and then drain past the compression rings and oil rings ..

As far as i'm concerned this is a normal issue when injectors leak that the oil will get contaminated and cause internal damage .

For further assistance with this issue please get back to me with the reply box below .
This is not a one answer and done i/we will stay with you until the problem is sorted out .
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, iam not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback.

Rgds Greg

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Greg, the misfiring occurred Teo weeks before the cat started to play up, dropping into safe mode but all ok when engine turned off then on again. Over the period the car became difficult to start and gave off more white smoke than normal, we put this down to a cold snap. The car makes three or four short trips each day, one or two miles. There is no damage to the injectors, pump, rings or head but there was petrol in the engine oil. Serviced two months before, oil checked a week before, clean oil just below the max level but after, dirty black thin oil and over the max level. Any help to you. See article in telegraph re fuel in Land Rover dump, that was diesel mm one was 60/50 mix. Bill
Expert:  Greg replied 1 month ago.
Did you accidentally fill with petrol
As I understand you you did .
Greg
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
about 50%
Expert:  Greg replied 1 month ago.

Okay so as all said above is what will happen , only you was lucky no damage with injection pump .

Greg