Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli,
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

Thought you would have advised about egr delete, which I

Thought you would have advised about egr delete, which I have had to find out myself.
Also, could the noise that I asked you about, be the valve jammed open. Does the valve operate as soon as
the ignition is turned on, and also active on an overrun for 15 secs or so after switch off.
Tks

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Most EGR valves operate when the engine is running and at a certain rpm when driving.If it is stuck open it can cause rough running and popping noises or odd engine or exhaust noises.If stuck open this can be due to carbon build up needing cleaned out of the valve and the ports for the valve and intake and exhaust and the valve replaced in some cases.If this is not what you are speaking of here on this let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Tks Pete, I have a noise, when ignition is turned on before firing engine, the noise is there all the time, and when engine
switched off, noise continues for around 15 secs. Local garage, not jeep, unplugged "electronic throttle"' said noise stopped
and reappeared when plugged in again. They also ran diagnostics and got code for egr v/v problem P1140.
Quoted too much for replacement with new, so I am looking for options. like blanking plate, or clean.
Can I clean myself, how, what with ?
2005 Jeep Cherokee/Liberty - 2.8 - CRD Limited. 90% dealer maintained/serviced. Only 42k on clock.Tks,

Your welcome

O.k., the noise is most likely the valve trying to seat or close.If it is cleaned usually this is done with carburetor cleaner or brake cleaner with the valve removed and carefully to not saturate it.There is a 50/50 chance this ruins the valve with it needing replaced.Unfortunately, my info isn't showing me how this valve is removed to do this but once removed you should see the opening in it that builds up with carbon.

The ports it seats onto usually need cleaned as well and sometimes is a complete manifold assembly that is removed and cleaned.

You can go with the delete.Allot of customers do this as long as you don't have emissions testing where you are located and it saves a bunch of money going this route.

You would need to check with a shop that does performance upgrades and repairs so they can get you a kit to do the delete.They will also need to reprogram the computer when this is done so the computer is no longer trying to operate the valve.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete