Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli,
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

I have a 2010 seat Leon and this morning in the cold weather

Hi there I have a 2010 seat Leon and this morning in the cold weather it refused to start, I tried jump starting it and the engine turned over for a second then just wouldn't start again. I went out and bought another battery for the car and it still won't start. Do you know what might be wrong?

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

With the new battery installed does the starter engage to crank over the engine at a normal speed when it did start in the past or is it turning over slow or not turning over at all?

Let me know, thanks, Pete.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
In the beginning with the old battery the starter cranked over slowly with a few pumps of the throttle and nearly started. When I tried to jump start the car off a 3L land cruiser the starter engaged and turned slower. After that the starter stopped engaging all together so I went and bought a new battery. I also topped up the oil a little bit untill it was full.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
With the new battery the starter still doesn't engage

Do you hear any clicking or noises from the starter area at all now when you try and start it?

Do you have a test light or multi meter to test electrical with at all?

When it ran last was it running properly with no engine noises or power issues?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
there is a clicking noise from that area, it sounds like it's trying to turn the monitor over but can't quite do it.I think so yes, I'll look for it nowYes started on the first turn every time and engine was running smooth, I think the cold weather may be the culprit

It sounds like the starter has failed which the cold can cause with a weak starter that was already ready to fail.Locate the large power wire at the starter, it should have at or near 12 volts DC at all times key on or off.Hook the meter or test light to a ground source to test this power.

If it is good then locate the smaller wire that connects to a separate connection/post on the starter and sees if it has at or near 12 volts DC/power when someone is holding the key in the starting position.

If both wires have power then the starter itself needs to be replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was wondering how can I check if the starter motor is at fault or the solenoid

I apologize for the delay.

Is your solenoid separate from the starter on this engine.Unfortunately my info doesnt show if it is for sure.

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The solenoid switch and starter motor are part of the same unit although both of them are detachable

O.k., I see thank you for that.

Try tapping on the starter while someone tries to start it.If it tries to start or turns over any faster when this is done this is the motor at fault.Usually, the solenoid will click when its working and the motor is the cause.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete