Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 2007 ford transit 110 diesel. My problems are

Hi. I have a 2007 ford transit 110 diesel .My problems are engine shaking back fourth and blue smoke and misfire .My fault code is
P02A8 cylinder 4 balance - injector restrictedAll injectors are coded correctly to the Ecu I have also replaced with 2 recon injectors in cylinder 2&3If I unplug injector harness from 1/2/3 van will cut out but number 4 will not affect the engine at all ...Injector 1 -5.30
Injector 2 16.42
Injector 3. -6.23
Injector 4. -4.91I’ve replaced air mass sensor / oil change / oil filter / fuel filterI would like to know are the injector readings high and if so what could be the cause off it .
If one injector is faulty would it affect the others
And what voltage should read at the injector plugThe van will start 1st time and still has power there engine doesn’t sound to bad but a misfire can be heard/feltThanks glenn

hello

if you're getting blue smoke then its likely to be burning the engine oil

The first thing I'd check is the crankcase pressure relief valve (PCV) these are sprung loaded and are only meant to 'burp' excess pressure every now and then. The exiting gas is piped back to the inlet, however should the valve stick open then the engine tends to suck the air out of the crankcase all the time and this carries oil over with it.

If you remove the air intake pipe and look inside where the crankcase breather is plumbed in you may find evidence of oil.

If you do find oil replace the valve

. If this is all OK then its possible that the valve stem seals are past their best and are drip-feeding oil into the intake. These can be replaced without removing the head by a competent garage in half a day or so

Also check inside the intake just after the turbo for any signs of oil as this would be an indication that the turbo oil seal is starting to fail and a replacement / rebuilt turbo may well be required. Have a feel of the turbine wheel - there should be no play radially at all - but a little bit of axial / end to end float is normal

an engine flush may also help if you've got a sticking oil scraper ring so its worth a go, as for the oil if you go up a grade / use slightly thicker oil then this is less readily drawn into gaps and less likely to be burnt off

it may also be wise to do a compression test across all cylinders as they should all be within 10-15 psi of each other

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi , would the pvr affect the injector readings e.g injector number 2 and what readings are acceptable . Thanks
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi these are the reading I have . Thanks

hello

the PCV won't effect how the injector works

and I'm presuming the figures in the 1st image are the leak down figures? as cylinder 2 is quite different to the rest which can mean that injector isn't being opened like the rest

and this could be the injector leaking fuel back through the overspill pipe, so not getting enough fuel pressure to tell ECU to fire it with the rest of the injectors, this is trickier to find and you’ll need the garage to do a ‘run back’ test to identify which one is the issue

you can also do a reasonable run-back test yourself by disconnecting the electrical plug on the injectors and the downstream pipe of the leak off, crank the engine over and if you see a noticable difference if the flow in the leak off then that the likely problem injector.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thanks . Last question ... the fault code p02A8 cylinder 4 balance - injector restricted what would cause it . Thank you for your help it just makes me understand a little more off what going on .. I have ordered 4 recon injectors now and a pvr valve , does it need programming in e.g a reset count ?

hello

thanks for the extra information to get a choked injector code as well really does point to a one or more injectors not working

and replacing all 4 should resolve the issues

but yes all 4 will need programming to match the ECU to get the best out of them