Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

I have a BMW 730d (E65) and suddenly my steering has become

Hi, I have a BMW 730d (E65) and suddenly my steering has become really sloppy and feels insecure. I recently changed from very low profile 20" rims to the standard BMW 18".
Problems started shortly after that.
Could this be the cause of the problem? Could tyre pressure or the quality of the tyres affect the steering in this way?
I had the tracking re-aligned but this made no difference.
Any ideas?Thanks,
Matthew

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is the steering pulling one way or the other as you drive it or does it feel like it has play in the steering to where it is hard to keep the vehicle straight on the road needing to turn the wheel back and forth to keep it straight?

Do you have the stock size rims and tires or are they a wider rim and tire?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The tyres are standard for these rims, nothing oversized. As it is the sports version of this model, it came with staggered rims: 245/40 R20 at the front and 275/35 R20 at the back. I prefer however more comfort, hence the change. the car does not pull to one side but is difficult to keep in astraight line and very sensitive to unevenness in the road.

O.k., this sounds like the tires themselves.If they are over inflated or under inflated they will cause this fault.I have also seen some tire brands/models cause this issue as well and swapping out the tires corrected the issue.

If you have standard rims on it now and they are not over sized beyond what the manufacturer had on it stock and your alignment has been checked and is o.k. have the tie rod ends checked just to make sure they are not worn.If they are worn they can cause this and would need to be replaced.If they are not worn and your tire pressures are at the correct pressure on the door or fuel fill cap then the tires are the cause.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks Pete, I will swap to new and better tyres to see if that solved the problem.
Also I will get the tie today ends checked once more.
Thanks for your help.
Will let you know the result and do the rating.
Regards, Matthew

Your welcome

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete