Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 2010 registered Freelander 2. last month I drove it

Customer Question

I have a 2010 registered Freelander 2. last month I drove it for 10 minutes and then could not restart it - it sounded like a flat battery but the AA mechanic tested the battery saying it was fine and after a jump start and a good run it was fine and has been ever since until today. Exactly the same thing happened and when it sounded like a flat battery again I was getting a 'HDC' warning on the info display. However, I left it for a a couple of minutes and tried again. At the second attempt it just started. What do you think is the problem?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

I'd say that you may have an issue with the high power fuses or the main battery connections or the main earth connections

so I'd begin by checking that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.
Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.

then check the high power ( 30A+) fuses for connection corrosion and damaged cracked fuses

Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

the HDC error can pop up if you have low battery voltage or bad connection

or it could actually be a fault with the hill descent