Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

I am a widower (aged 61) and have started to go out again

Customer Question

I am a widower (aged 61) and have started to go out again with an old schoolfriend (aged 61) who also lost her spouse from cancer.

She is a twin, but lost her twin brother with a aneurism of the brain 27 years ago...

What statistics are there to estimate her chances of having an aneurism compared to someone who is not a twin...she also suffers from higher than average cholesterol and blood pressure....although neither affect her on a day to day basis.
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. Studies on this are very small. They do indicate a significant increased risk in the surviving twin. Your friend should be screened. An actual percentage cannot be given but it is quite high.

There are more women with ruptured familial aneurysms compared with those with sporadic aneurysms. Familial aneurysms rupture in females before the age of 50 and at the same site in most familial cases.. This supports a possible genetic cause for cerebral aneurysm as well as a possible hormonal cause for rupture.

There is a study involving 13 cases of cerebral aneurysms in identical twins with a total of 37 aneurysms. . Six twins had the same sites of aneurysm. Cerebral aneurysms in yound adults tend to rupture. . A screening diagnosis should be done asap on a twin whose sister or brother had a ruptured aneurism.

Hope this helps

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.
Hii Jack. I see that you read the answer to your question, do you need more help?