Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

hi, I have to have a pacemaker fitted in the coming weeks.

Customer Question

hi,

I have to have a pacemaker fitted in the coming weeks. I am 39 years old and a very active Cross-fit enthusiast. I would consider myself to be at my fittest ever.

Can you advise if Cross-fit training post Op is OK and if there are any websites I can do some research on to get myself back fit after the initial recovery period?

Many thanks,

Liam
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 4 years ago.

There are a number of variables associated here.

Pacemakers and strong athelete activity are a complex issue.

The first thing is the issue of dislodgement. You cannot do any exercise for the initial 2 to 4 weeks as advised by your doctor. Even after healing some risk of dislodgement remains.

Second is the issue of programming of the pacemaker. Nowadays adjustable pacemakers are available which can adjust to the amount of exercise that you do. But specific programming is required for the amount of exercise you do, etc. You will have to discuss this very closely with your cardiologist. A thorough analysis of the amount of exercise that you do and the amount of work your heart has to do is required to know the optimal programming.

You can read up this book which contains a good chapter on this:

Clinical exercise physiology: application and physiological principles By LeMura Linda M.

But of course, the primary person to discuss this with is your cardiologist.

There is no bar to your performing cross-fit training provided your cardiologist knows about this and adjusts the programming and pacemaker type accordingly.

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

I hope my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Is there any further information that you need? Please do write if you wanted to know something more.

Do write back to me if you have any follow up questions,

Dr. P. Jyoti