Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Cardiology Expert
55099014

My 93 year old Dad is in hospital and has been since 22 June.

Customer Question

My 93 year old Dad is in hospital and has been since 22 June. Dad was admitted as he could not move with pain in his back and on arrival an x-ray was taken which showed a broked back. This has since been found to be a mistake. The consultant told me that Dad had suffered a heart attack "not a clutch at the chest type but nevertheless a heart attack." Dad does suffer from A.F. and has done so for many years.

For fourteen days in hospital Dad had not had any bowel movement and was being given enemas, laxatives, movicol etc and still is daily. All he produces is a thin brown liquid though once it was a little thicker.

Yesterday 1 July I asked for his weight and he is now over a stone more than he was before hospital and looks as though he is bursting with water. Also he has not eaten in eleven days. The Consultant is now talking about sending him to a rehab hospital to improve his walking! whereas only a few days ago, before the excess water, he was talking about sending him home. My question is this: Does my Dad need a drain to drain off the excess fluid please and, also, are all the enemas this consultant giving him - remembering he eats NOTHING doing him more harm than good? I look forward to your reply Doctor.
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 4 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Thanks for this excellent question.

I'm sorry you are having this problem

I need to gather additional information in order to give you the best answer possible

Does your dad take any pain medicine?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

As a rule Doctor my Dad loathes medicine so all he takes is co-amilofruse, lansoprasole and low dose aspirin. When he had the back pain he was given co-codamol and then it was stopped due to its causing constipation.

Thank you Helen

Just let me clarify

Your two main questions are

1)should he be released with all this extra fluid?

2)what should be done about lack of bowel movements and eating?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes that is correct

yes you are very wise to question his release. He definitely needs fluids taken off through medication administration.

he also needs to have his bowel movement issue fixed and start eating. His lack of bowel movement is likely a combination of immobility and decreased oral intake.

so decreased fluids, more eating, and more movement in the hospital prior to release.
I noticed that our chat is not complete.

A positive rating is the only way I am credited for my work. However, my main goal is your 100% satisfaction. If you are satisfied, please rate positively. If not, just click reply and I will happily provide more information.