Dr. W.Chu
Dr. W.Chu, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  I am board-certified in Internal Medicine, Cardiovascular diseases, Interventional Cardiology and Echocardiography.
71126597

Heartburn so bad it as left me with dreadful cough and a clicking

Customer Question

Heartburn so bad it as left me with dreadful cough and a clicking sound in my throat
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. W.Chu replied 4 years ago.

Dr. W.Chu :

Hello there, thanks for the very practical question. I am sorry you are suffering from this condition. If you are sure you are suffering from acid reflux or heartburn, you may try some over-the-counter Pepcid first. Then I would see your primary care physician for further evaluation to see whether you need more potent medication or see a specialist.

Dr. W.Chu :

However, I have to warn you that angina (chest pain from heart) sometimes can mimic heartburn. So if you have some risk factors for heart disease and if you have some doubt that your symptoms could represent heart disease, you may want to go to ER to be checked out and make sure this is not from your heart. I would be cautious and play safe.

Dr. W.Chu :

You are welcome to ask follow up questions. Please rate me positively if you are satisfied with my answers so I can get credit for my work. Thank you very much.