Dr. W.Chu
Dr. W.Chu, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  I am board-certified in Internal Medicine, Cardiovascular diseases, Interventional Cardiology and Echocardiography.
71126597

My resting pulse is about 60. During light activity it varies

Customer Question

My resting pulse is about 60. During light activity it varies normally between 60-80 and goes down again. During exercise it increases to about 120 and then stays at this constant rate. Working more or less does not change the pulse. After stopping it remains at 120 for about 20 mins of stopping before falling back to 80. I have no symptoms. Does this sound like any specific arrhythmia?
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. W.Chu replied 4 years ago.

Dr. W.Chu :

Hello there, thanks for the good question. Given the fact that you are a young man without symptoms, what you have described does not strike me as anything serious. It may be caused by something called deconditioning which means you need to exercise more and regularly. However, I do recommend a couple of tests to be more sure. The first one is echocardiogram to make sure structurally your heart is normal. Secondly, treadmill stress test, you walk on the treadmill and push yourself to your limit and see what happens. If these two tests are completely normal, I would not worry about it.

Dr. W.Chu :

Please ask follow up questions. My goal is to provide completely satisfactory answers. Please rate me positively if you are satisfied with my answer so I can get credit for my work. Thanks a lot.

Customer :

When exercising it goes to 120 and stays at this constant rate (without any variation). Even when stopping it does not slow done for 20mins and then goes back to normal. Could this be a SVT