Dr. Natasha
Dr. Natasha, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Training in cardiology emergencies.
16455829

I found it difficult to sleep in hot conditions. In July I

I found it difficult to sleep in hot conditions. In July I woke up suddenly in a panic. I thought I was late for work. I got up quickly, I could feel my heart beat very fast and before I knew it I fainted. I was told by my sister that I was unconscious for about a minute and I recovered quickly. An ambulance was called and they performed an ECG and blood sugar test, both were fine. I have been fine ever since and continue exercising when I can. The paramedic said it was probably due to the heat. I went to GP who performed blood test which was fine. The GP referred to me cardiologist who gave me a 24hr holter and later done an cardiac echo, both came back fine. I then had a 12 lead ECG before seeing the consultant, again it was fine. The consultant ordered me to do another blood test, a test for diabetes and a cardiac MRI which I felt was not necessary. He then promised me if these tests came back fine he would discharge me from the hospital care so I can go back to work as a bus driver (I was told by employer that I can not work until I get cleared by cardiologist), I get the results and there are all clear. The cardiologist changed his mind and said he will now only clear me if I do an EP study as I am a bus driver. I told him I won't do it as I do not have any symptoms and have passed all the other tests that I had to wait months for and he promised me that he would discharge me if the MRI was OK. I feel like I am being blackmailed. My employer wants to dismiss me on medical grounds because of this cardiologist won't clear me. Why perform an invasive procedure that has risked attached to a patient who is not complaining of any symptoms and has passed all the other tests. The cardiologist is playing with my future. He does not get back to me when I call to put my case across. My driving licence and future are at stake. Is the cardiologist right in this situation? I feel powerless. I need to work but I am not put my heart risk. I simply panicked and passed out. What is your opinion? Is the consultant cardiologist right? Why did he change his mind?
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Natasha :

hello are you still there?

Dr. Natasha :

i am reading your question

Customer:

Yes

Dr. Natasha :

have you tried to get an opinion by another cardiologist?

Customer:

No, not yet. Would yo do the same as this cardiologist?

Dr. Natasha :

No, I would not

Dr. Natasha :

Because this happened once

Dr. Natasha :

I think that the cardiologist is worried because you are a commercial driver

Dr. Natasha :

And they are trying to be safe

Dr. Natasha :

but honestly, if this only happened once and you had all of these studies done, I think that EP is overkill

Dr. Natasha :

they do that for persistent symptoms

Customer:

Thank you Doctor!

Dr. Natasha :

I think that getting another cardiologist involved is best

Dr. Natasha :

And if they insist, then get it done

Dr. Natasha :

does that sound ok?

Customer:

Thank you for the advice.

Dr. Natasha :

you are welcome

Dr. Natasha :

I hope that I provided you with excellent service ? :-)?

Hi Patrick
Just following up with see how you are doing