Dr .Saeed ahmed
Dr .Saeed ahmed, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS(R)/MRCP U.K(R), Senior Registrar Cardiology
16248889

Could having MVP cause a slightly enlarged spleen? I have a

Customer Question

Could having MVP cause a slightly enlarged spleen? I have a 15cm spleen and have had a magnitude of blood tests which show nothing. I am trying to find answers. I have not yet been diagnosed with MVP but have many symptoms...palpitations, headaches, dizziness, shortness of breath etc, so am awaiting my referral. Thanks
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr .Saeed ahmed replied 3 years ago.

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

Hello, Thank you for your question. I will try my best to help you with your questions.

Customer: Thanks
Dr .Saeed ahmed :

Are you diagnosed with MVP?

Customer: What do you need to know about me to help?
Customer: Not diagnosed just suspected, need to wait for my appointment
Dr .Saeed ahmed :

Are you tall ? long arms ?

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

hands ?

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

any chest deformity ?

Customer: No, not tall. No deformities
Customer: i have big hands for my size!?
Dr .Saeed ahmed :

Well, organomegaly or large organs like liver and spleen can be seen with MVP

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

if associate with marfan or myxomatous disorders

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

or other connective tissues diseases.

Customer: ok, that's interesting to know, thanks.
Dr .Saeed ahmed :

ok, your welcome.

Customer: What tests should I be asking for to confirm these things?
Dr .Saeed ahmed :

In most cases it is clinical examination which does the trick there are other genetic tests which can help confirm the diasnosis.

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

diagnosis.

Customer: Ok. Whilst I await my cardiology appointment, do you concur that my symptoms could be MVP... Shortness of breath from just a short walk, metallic/blood taste in mouth, coughing after exertion, headaches, dizziness.
Customer: forgot the most bothersome...palpitations and chest pain
Customer: haven't found anything on EKG
Dr .Saeed ahmed :

Well, in your age with such symptoms i would put more stress on pulmonary issues, pulmonary hypertension.

Customer: What's that?
Dr .Saeed ahmed :

Yes MVP can cause such issues but does not causes dizziness unless very severe

Customer: dizzinees after exercise only
Dr .Saeed ahmed :

These are issues that are more common at your age from cardiology point of view

Customer: which issues are those please?
Dr .Saeed ahmed :

pulmonary hypertension is one of the main diagnosis that should be worked in your case.

Customer: what is that please?
Dr .Saeed ahmed :

It is increased pressure in the pulmonary arteries due to narrowing or due to increased pressure in the lungs or left heart.

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

Echocardiogram is best simple test that helps as initial evaluation in such cases.

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

So more than MVP i would consider pul.HTN as possible cause.

Customer: Is it serious?
Dr .Saeed ahmed :

depends on cause. In initial cases with diagnosed cause outcome is good. In late stages not so good.

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

so early diagnosis is the key.

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

At your age with initial symptoms i think outcome will be good..

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

In most cases after 50 years is is not good.

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

so early diagnosis and treatment.

Customer: I have seen a lung specialist , had chest X-rays and breathing tests, they have been fine. So I need to definitely see a cardiologist? It is hard to get to see the right people in the uk as we have to be referred by our gp.
Dr .Saeed ahmed :

I know i have worked there.

Customer: I have had the pain, coughing after exercise and breathlessness since a teenager, it's just getting worse now. I also have anxiety which have heard could be MVP? Hence my asking initially.
Dr .Saeed ahmed :

It can be...

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

more chances are of pul.HTN

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

its typical symptom is symptoms on activity in young female. So it is my first diagnosis unless proven negative with echocardiogram.

Customer: ok, any way to convince my gp to write to the cardiologist explaining this? Any key words she should use?
Dr .Saeed ahmed :

yes.. ask him to check your pulse oximetery with exertion.

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

if levels fall it means he has to refer you

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

he can do this in his clinic

Customer: she has been very reluctant until now, and is only now getting around to referring me after 2 years because she has tried all the other departments....gastroenterology and thoracic consultants.
Customer: wont do anything in the clinic...only have a 10 minute slot. Anything I can test at home to prove it?
Dr .Saeed ahmed :

no, it needs checking oxygen levels in blood during exercise.

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

it is like a clip which is attached to finger tip and it records oxygen levels

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

low level with activity means it is likely pul.HTN

Customer: ok, will have to wait for referral to hospital. Have had the finger clip...mines always 99 or 100 at rest, is that bad??
Dr .Saeed ahmed :

it is good, it needs to be checked with activity.

Customer: the doctor I saw who only tested me at rest said hers was 96 and that 100 was too high like I'm hyperventilating?,
Dr .Saeed ahmed :

it needs to be checked with activity. at rest it is normal.

Customer: hopefully can get somebody to do it when I see the thoracic physiotherapist today...perhaps she can put the clip on and exercise me? How much activity is needed to show the answer. A gentle walk or a hard jog type of thing?
Dr .Saeed ahmed :

around 6 min walk or 330 meters

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

walk

Customer: great, thank you for your time and help!! Most appreciated.
Dr .Saeed ahmed :

you are welcome.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello, following on from my previous question....I went to see a thoracic physiotherapist yesterday and she put a pulse oximeter on me. My readings were 98% and I didn't see me heartbeat but it was commented that at rest it was a little high. I was taken for a long walk And this involved climbing 4 flights of stairs. My rates were fine just walking and I kept at 98% throughout but when I had climbed the stairs I was puffed and my heart was racing and was commented that my heartbeat was too fast for the amount of work I had done. Have you any thoughts on this? Thanks you .

Thank you for your follow up questions.

If you did not had the symptoms of dizziness or blackouts and only symptom was fast heart rate and feeling of palpitations then it can simply be due to your lack of physical endurance. Try improve your physical activity will help improve the symptoms. If you still persist to have these symptoms after around 3-4 weeks of 30min per day physical activity then it means you need a holter test to see if you are having abnormal fast heart rate.