Dr .Saeed ahmed
Dr .Saeed ahmed, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS(R)/MRCP U.K(R), Senior Registrar Cardiology
16248889

I have had three sondes fitted on Dec.10 14; Medtronic DTBA200

I have had three 'sondes' fitted on Dec.10 14; Medtronic DTBA200 - BLG603622S; BIOTRONIC 25875081 ET QUC004093V. When I saw the surgeon early in February I understood that the defibrillator was not functioning but that it did not matter much. This worries me, all the more since I have not stopped having pains since the operation and I cannot lie on my left side. The doctor did not seem to think this mattered either.
I would like to know if it is normal.
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr .Saeed ahmed replied 3 years ago.

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

Hello, Thank you for your question. I will try my best to help you with your questions. I need to ask few questions before first.

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

Can you explain the area of pain ?

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

what makes it to increase ?

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

Severity has decreased ?

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

increased or same after the surgery ?

Customer:

The area is in the left breast//armpit ( which has developed a lump) and arm and inside the left to middle chest under the ribs.

Customer:

The pain comes on and/or increases when I lie on the left or make a movement to the left, or when I make a physical effort.

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

It started after the surgery ?

Customer:

Sometimes I thin the pain is less strong, other times it is so strong that it takes my breath away. It never lasts long if I do not move for one or two minutes.

Customer:

After the surgery I had very strong pains deep in the middle of the chest, The nurses and doctor thought it was nothing until a doctor decided to check and decreased the frequency of one of the sonde(sorry I do not know the word for 'sonde'. The pain disappeared instantly.

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

Does it hurts when you press the pain area ?

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

Is there some redness ? swelling or discharge from this area ?

Customer:

Only a little, like if I had a bruise. Nothing deep inside, unless I lie on my left side. Then it hurts a lot.

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

Do you have fever ? or feel feverish ?

Customer:

No swelling except under my left Armpit, no redness, no discharge

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

Fever ?

Customer:

I have not checked.

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

Ok, thank you for your replies.

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

There are two likely causes of your symptoms, Post procedure inflammation of the skin and deep tissues and damage to the nerve.

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

In most cases these symptoms vanish after 4-8 weeks

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

as these symptoms have stayed longer than this so it needs evaluation with tests like chest X rays and CT scan to see the extent of the injury.

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

Try tylenol tablets and ibuprofen cream to relieve pain.

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

If you check your temperature and it is more than normal

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

then it means that you still have inflammation in this pain area and it can be a hidden infection or abscess that needs antibiotics.

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

You have questions ?

Customer:

I have an appointment with my normal cardiologist but it would help if I knew how to discuss with him as I feel a little confused with medical jargon and also with the fact that I am not very young and am not always taken seriously as if the doctor (or dentist) thought "it will do for the few years she has got left". I may be wrong but that is my experience.

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

I appreciate your thoughts.

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

In my opinion it needs X rays and CT scan as it has been more than 8 weeks and symptoms should have settled by now if this was simply trauma due to procedure.

Customer:

I am not very keen to take painkillers, I would rather know what causes the pain and cure that. Pain killers may mask the cause which might then worsen because untreated.

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

I agree... if pain is with in your pain threshold then you can opt not to take paik killers.

Customer:

What about the fact that the defibrillator has stopped working, if that is the case? Does it not need putting right?

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

Yes it does.....

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

First it needs to be investigate and it can be done without any

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

procedure or

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

surgery

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

simple a machine is attached to the chest and it can evaluate the ICD

Customer:

How can I set about that. It is difficult to demand. I am not very strong-minded face t an expert.

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

In most cases we only need to adjust the threshold

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

which can be done in few minutes

Customer:

Then why did the surgeon not do it when he examined me?

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

I do not know why he did that. He needs to check the device with machine

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

and you may just simple need adjustment of the threshold level or possibly manipulation of leads without surgery.

Customer:

He did, that is when I understood it did not work and it did not matter

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

He has to do it otherwise what was the purpose of placing the ICD.

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

You have questions ?

Customer:

OK. At least a feel a little stronger to discuss and demand. I hope it will work. I have a very large and very nice family and it would be a pity to leave them. Thank you. I understand that I can go back to you for 7 days. Is that right? and how do I get to the same doctor?

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

You are welcome.

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

You can simply open this chat again or use link

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

http://www.justanswer.co.uk/cardiology/8b4f0-three-sondes-fitted-dec-10-14-medtronic-dtba200.html?dologin=1&src=nql

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

or

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-saalam/

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

use above link to ask direct questions

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

It was nice to chat with you, Kindly rate my answer as excellent to compensate my time and expertise. You can open this questions again as many times as you like to ask questions on same topic. Thanks.

Customer:

Fine. I am not very good with computers. Things disappear easily with me. I'll try. Thanks for the link. Good-bye.

Dr .Saeed ahmed, Doctor
Experience: MBBS/FCPS(R)/MRCP U.K(R), Senior Registrar Cardiology
Thank you for your visit,