Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Cardiology Expert
55099014

Must a person who has a stent continue to take statins? is

Must a person who has a stent continue to take statins? is it true that once one has a stent, one must always remain on statin drugs.
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Yes, that is correct

Statins have shown to reduce mortality in patients with coronary artery disease.

I recommend lifelong statin therapy

I hope this helps.

If you have more questions, just reply. :)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thankyou. Yes! I understand you recommend life long statin therapy but my question is, is it essential to stay on it simply because one has a stent? I, myself, had a triple bypass 24 years ago and have never, ever taken a statin drug. has it anything to do with the growth of tissue within the stent? Thanks

Yes, it is Bill

You, by definition, have coronary artery disease. Bypass plus stent = coronary artery disease

You are a statin guy Bill
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks! Well, I don't take statens myself - they are too dangerous, in my opinion and in the opinion of many eminent MDs worldwide.

Its my sister-in-law who has the stent and is on statins. She wants to stop taking them because of side effects but her doctor says she can never do so. Mine is a question not aimed against any doctor but simply, does a person HAVE to remain on statins by virtue of the fact that he/she has a stent. Thanks

Yes, that is correct.

They do have to Bill

Please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks! Thats grand. I related your service excellent.

I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)