NorthernHeart
NorthernHeart, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Internal Medicine, Gen Cardiology, Nuclear Card, Echocard
70615384

Hello Dr Phil, ok so I am going to paste what I typed to a

Customer Question

Hello Dr Phil, ok so I am going to paste what I typed to a Neurologist on here or my fingers will fall off!! All I will add is that on follow up ( first and second) the RV had not reduced in size, and the tricuspid valve has started to leak, would this be anything to do with what happened to Josie in theatre? Or is this just an unhappy coincidence? If the RV shows no sign of reducing in size, what will be the prognosis for Josie . ( below is details) only left out collapsed lung and chest drain collapse upon removal . My daughter age 14 years recently underwent a PVR and an ASD closure she had pulmonary valve regurgitation ( severe) and her RV was severely dilatated, Josie is a repaired Fallots patient. ( repaired in infancy Op 1 BT Shunt Op 2 Full repair age 3 months and 6 months consecutively . November 2013 she is an hour into bypass and in cooling process and there is a power outage, there was in turn a failure of some UPS to kick in, one of the failures was the heater/cooler and bubble catcher it shut off completely for around 8 minutes. Perfusionist and Surgeon decided when power came back to terminate the operation and rewarm Josie and get her off bypass. Josie was sent to ITU and kept anesthtised using Propofol , she was mechanically ventilated, sternum left open etc. the next day she is taken to theatre again still anesthetised and put back onto bypass and procedures were completed. When she woke up in intensive care she was blurred in vision and very thirsty, this was on Tuesday night, her last drink was Sunday night, after a few hours she became hysterical, confused, violent and paranoid, she became a danger to herself and actually hurt her incision wound. When she calmed down she remained in a trance like state, eyes hazy and would smile at appropriate times but refused to talk, it was awful. Josie refused morphine and believed that the nurses were trying to harm her and put her back to sleep. . When we left hospital Josie became pale, we took her to our local hospital she needed a transfusion, her C REACTIVE protein levels were at 97 but no infection came, her Levels the cardiac hospital were high too, and only when they dropped to 33 would they discharge her. Josie now is suffering from short term memory loss, ( bad) Unable to retain information for long periods, so is unable to be educated, she gets words all jumbled up and they almost fall out of her mouth and she doesn't realise she is doing it. She refuses to go and see asny friends and hasn't done since coming home from operation. Do I need a Neurologist? What is wrong with her? What caused this? She had 40 plus hours of ventilation with deep sedation using propofol she was unconscious, two runs on the pump, enough ketamine to render a horse into a coma and it has obviously done something to her nb: She was obsessed with wanting a drink, the poor girl was finally allowed more than 5mls on Wednesday night, when she was allowed 15 mls every two hours. 

Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm absolutely fine waiting. Thank you so much for your help.

Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Shantal

I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?

Please understand it is rare for us not to be able to find the right Professional to assist our customers. We can return your good faith deposit to the original funding source.

Please let me know how you wish to proceed and again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.