Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Cardiology Expert
55099014

Hi I have hypertension and have been reading about Vitamin

Hi I have hypertension and have been reading about Vitamin K2 supplimentation

My question is... I believe that Vit K2 plays a role in the correct distribution of calcium and my theory for the root cause of my Hypertension is that my calcium doesnt go where it should in my body (I get a lot of cramps etc)

I understand that K2 also increases the likelyhood of blood clotting so I wanted to know: -

Is there a possible benefit from taking it to reduce the chances of an increase in the hardening of my arteries ?
Is the clotting property likely to increase my risk for stroke?

Paul
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

This is an interesting theory

Any history of blood clots?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, none at all...

My father is in his 70's with no stroke, my grandfather suffered strokes in his late 70's early 80's though

I think the risk of clotting outweighs any potential benefits Paul

Given the fact that your blood pressure can be easily controlled with meds, what benefitvis there?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ive had the raised BP (well became aware of it) around Xmas time and so far the doctors has put me on 7.5mg of Ramipril with not much change (was 150/115 now 140/105)

Im looking for the root cause if its not being controlled by ACE inhibitors...

I am assuming that its arterial hardening and K2 supplimentation seemed promising for the reduction of that ...

You could be right but I agree the risk of clot is too high

I wouldnt recommend it

Try a different BP med. Try chlorthalidone
I appreciate the good rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)