Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Cardiology Expert
55099014

Hi I have been diagnosed with an aneurysm on my aorta 4 years

Hi I have been diagnosed with an aneurysm on my aorta 4 years ago now and I also have Mitral valve regurgitation and tricuspid valve leaks, and atrial fibrillation. My cardiologist says my aneurysm is small enough at present time to be monitored.

My question is approx how long can I expect to have a comparatively healthy life before it becomes large enough to cause problems and how long before it can reach to a size where it can rupture easily..taking into account I try not to lift things, watch my BP have a healthy life and take a anti coagulant? What kind of problems does it start to throw up as it progresses?

I am asking because my husband retires in two months and has Aspergers Syndrome and needs a lot of support from me, and we thought we might move house to another part of UK but my cardiologist says I shouldn't go anywhere too far away from a main cardiology Hospital ..but I thought when it ruptured it was fatal in most cases?

My father died from same condition at age 73 yrs on the operating table. My Grandfather died of the same. My brother has had a ruptured berry aneurysm at age 24yrs (operated and saved his life) so we have bad genes !
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Phil, MD :

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Dr. Phil, MD :

please enter chat

Dr. Phil, MD :

Hi I'm Dr. Phil

Dr. Phil, MD :

Can i ask your first name?

Customer:

Hi Dr Phil, Thanks for trying to help me with my queries :)

Customer:

Hazel

Dr. Phil, MD :

No problem :)

Dr. Phil, MD :

Hi Hazel

Dr. Phil, MD :

Nice to meet you

Dr. Phil, MD :

two important questions

Customer:

:)

Dr. Phil, MD :

1)where in the aorta is it?

Dr. Phil, MD :

2)how large is it now?

Customer:

on the top branch where it enters the heart

Customer:

I was told 3cms

Dr. Phil, MD :

okay

Dr. Phil, MD :

good

Dr. Phil, MD :

that is very smalll

Customer:

yes

Dr. Phil, MD :

has it grown recently?

Customer:

not been checked for 6 months but not at that time

Dr. Phil, MD :

how long have you known about it?

Customer:

4 years

Dr. Phil, MD :

and has it been 3 cm that whole time?

Customer:

I didnt know how large at all when I was diagnosed as my Dad had passed from one and my broither had one, it was a bit of a shock that I may be going thr same way as my brothers ruptured when in his 20's and nearly killed him so Cardio didnt tell me the size it was for some months..I have a 6 month check for my heart valves and he told me he would tell me when it reached 5cms and so far he hasnt said it has I am due a visit in the next month

Dr. Phil, MD :

Okay

Customer:

3cms was what it was when he saw it

Customer:

initially

Dr. Phil, MD :

The bad news is that women is at higher risk of rupture

Customer:

ok

Dr. Phil, MD :

however, your aneurysm is small

Dr. Phil, MD :

and stable

Dr. Phil, MD :

small and stable is key

Dr. Phil, MD :

So I think you are very low risk of rupture

Dr. Phil, MD :

How far are you from the hospital if you move?

Customer:

i am quite stoic about it now and accepting and it doesn't bother me ..never think about it but have had to consider this move as i dont want to be in a lovely place with no cardio care if it is really going to make any difference..if I will just go suddenly then I might as well enjot what life I have left..although I know there are conditions it can cause but not sure exactly what can be done about them..i am under the imptression its not in an operable place..or was that me misreading my cardiologists grim looks? lol

Dr. Phil, MD :

I really don't think this is too dangerous

Customer:

I would be 41 miles from a non specialist hospital and 3 hours from a Cradio specialising hospital

Dr. Phil, MD :

okay so taking yearly trips would be fine

Customer:

* cardio specialising

Dr. Phil, MD :

I really think it is fine to move

Customer:

thinking of a home move there

Customer:

cardiologist didnt think its a good idea

Customer:

I guess he expects problems

Dr. Phil, MD :

I see.

Dr. Phil, MD :

well live your life and watch it closely

Dr. Phil, MD :

as long as it is watched yearly you will be fine

Customer:

Yes, OK :) the only question I really have is, could they do anything really if when it enlarges,if I dont die immediately? I might as well live where we want to be ? Its by the sea... I am looking to discover really if it really is something that possibly could be a recoverable situation ...if not I might as well die having had a lovely retirement if you understand my meaning!

Dr. Phil, MD :

of course they can do something if it enlarges!

Dr. Phil, MD :

surgery is common for this these days

Customer:

Even on the aortic branch?

Customer:

into the heart

Dr. Phil, MD :

yes absolutely

Customer:

Oh Ok I see:)

Dr. Phil, MD :

they can basically graft the whole artery if needed!

Dr. Phil, MD :

It is called an elephant trunk procedure

Customer:

I thought it was an incurable place. Ok thanks that is good news. I'm in UK is that done here ?

Dr. Phil, MD :

of course

Dr. Phil, MD :

any cardiology hospital will do this

Dr. Phil, MD :

the UK has great doctors

Customer:

Fine great news

Dr. Phil, MD :

:)

Customer:

then this is why my Cardio thinks I should live within a short distance of a specialist centre.

Dr. Phil, MD :

I don't think so

Dr. Phil, MD :

you can go for regular checkups

Customer:

What symptoms or problems do they throw up as they enlarge?

Dr. Phil, MD :

there are no symptoms

Dr. Phil, MD :

you simply need to watch it via ultrasound

Customer:

Ok yes and they would elect to operate as it enlarged? Thanks for this info , obviously my Dr thinks I am a mind reader lol

Customer:

yes

Customer:

:)

Dr. Phil, MD :

ok :)

Customer:

Thanks very much you have been very helpful :)

Dr. Phil, MD :

welcome :)

Dr. Phil, MD :

would you mind rating positive for me?

Customer:

I guess one question is how well does a succesful recovery go? Would I be able to live a reasonable life after a successful operation?

Customer:

No positive is all i will rate you..wonderful !!

Dr. Phil, MD :

absolutely

Dr. Phil, MD :

if you get surgery the outcomes are good

Customer:

Ok thanks very much:)

Dr. Phil, MD :

welcome :)

Dr. Phil, MD :

please don't forget the all important rating

Dr. Phil, MD :

I appreciate it

Customer:

Have a good night and you have made my day!!

Customer:

No I will do it now, Thanks again

Dr. Phil, MD :

welcome :)

Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience: Cardiology Expert
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)