Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Cardiology Expert
55099014

I had a pacemaker replacement on 2 May after having a trouble

I had a pacemaker replacement on 2 May after having a trouble free pacemaker for 11 years. Two days after my operation I felt I was having a TIA but did not have the symptons such as lack of speech, lack of movement and I recovered after lying down for a couple of minutes. I went to the doctor with the pain in my wound and he diagnosed an infection and I have been on antibiotics for 10 days. I have had a similar attack today which cleared after I sat down. I have been treated for hypertension for approx. 15 years but my blood pressure is under control 126/68/60 ten minutes ago. I wonder if this is a minor TIA or whether it could be due to the new pacemaker.
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

I think this is all due to infection

the problem is that you might have a pacemaker pocket infection

These are impossible to treat with antibiotics. The drugs don't resolve the infection, just mask it

You might need a closer look at the pacemaker.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your advice, how will the medics tell if it is a pacemaker pocket infection? Are there any particular tests that can be done as the technician only checks to see if the pacemaker is working.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

although I have had an e-mail alert your answer to my second question has not come through.

They will need to watch it closely

A trained eye can tell
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much for your advice I feel much more able to deal with it and ask the right questions at my appointment

you're welcome edward
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)