Dr .Saeed ahmed
Dr .Saeed ahmed, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS(R)/MRCP U.K(R), Senior Registrar Cardiology
16248889

I had a CPE Advantio SR J062 Pacemaker fitted on 21/05/2013.

I had a CPE Advantio SR J062 Pacemaker fitted on 21/05/2013. Is it safe to use an automatic dental scraper/polisher on my teeth? The Dentist thinks it is ok as it is a new type of Pacemaker.
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr .Saeed ahmed replied 3 years ago.

I will try my best to help you with your questions.

It is a safe device and does not interferes with the pacemaker. Try not to hold it on the same hand where pacemaker is.

Let me know if you have questions, thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don`t quite understand your reply as I don`t hold the device - the Dentist does.

Thank you for your reply, Dental scrapers and polishers do not interfere with the pacemaker because they do not have electromagnetic signals strong enough. Only holding it close to the pacemaker pocket can cause turbulance, so you just have to make sure he does not hold or place it over the pacemaker pocket, mainly it is safe and modern pacemakers are not effected by this device.

Let me know if there is something left unexplained. Thank you.