Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Cardiology Expert
55099014

Hi my husband was admitted to hospital with breathing problems

Hi my husband was admitted to hospital with breathing problems and was told his heart was not beating propyl . On admission he was given the regular checks ECG, bloods, sugar levels temp ect , it was noted he was in some distress with his breathing and was taken into a medical assessment ward . I would like to point out my husband had type2diabetes and was on medication for this . A while later we were informed he has had a heart attack but would not have known because of the medication he was taking for his diabetes. At no point was he given oxygen or put on a heart monitor . We were also told he had a lot of fluid around his lungs and in his lungs. 3 hours later he was given a very large dose of duretic introveniously unfortunately he passed away two hours later we were told he had had another heart attack thank you for reading this I just need to know he had the help he needed thank you XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Do you still need help on this question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi dr phil thank you for getting back to me.what information do you require.
Thanks for this question and I'm very sorry

Did he have any treatment for his heart attack?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi no he had no treatment the only thing they did for him was the usual obs and blood tests and an X-ray. That's when his consultant informed us he had had a heart attack . She told up he had quite a lot of fluid in his lungs and around his lungs which was preventing his heart beating propley .she told us there was some damage to his heart but they had to get the fluid away to see what damage had been done, she told us they would put him on a drip to do this..we were at the hospital 5 hours befor they gave him the duretic straight into his arm through his iv. It was quite a large syringe. This was administered at approximately 8 pm . She told us not to worry and there was a heart specialist coming the next day to see him . They brought him a number of urine bottles for him to use. We realise now because if someone has had a heart attack they should be monitored and given oxygen which he never received either , and he should have never be allowed out of bed to pass water. Unfortunately an hour after being given the duretic my dear husband passed away .thanky you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry me again I also informed the nursing staff on 3 occasions that Glyn was diabetic and had not had food all day ,they said they would organise something to be brought to him ,which never arrived .
Thanks for this reply Angela

I think if he had a heart attack it should have been intervened upon

blood thinners or a cardiac cath right away
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi in your opinion should he have had a chest drain put in as soon as it was found he had fluid on his lungs and around his lungs to take the pressure off his heart. He was left in a medical assessment ward and left to his own devices. I am sorry but I feel I have to ask these questions because I feel I have let him down too. I am 66 years old and have been with my husband for 49 years I can't
Get do anything to bring him back I know but I just need to know thank you dr Phil
No, they should have given him medicine to relieve the water

like diuretics. Chest drains are not put in in this case

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi do you think Glynn should have been put on a heart monitor and given oxygen as soon as it was found he had had a heart attack. And do you think in your opinion he received the care that he should have received . Should he have had specialist care, I am sorry to be asking these questions but I need to know everything was done for him that should have been done , as I said previously I feel I have let him down .
yes, absolutely

A heart monitor and oxygen are basics in the treatment of heart attacks. This is the minimum that should have been done

Yes, a specialist should have been consulted right away
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you dr phil for answering my questions . After they said Glynn had had a heart attack should he at the very least be taken to a coronary care ward or transferred to another specialist heart hospital, which I would like to point out was about 15 miles away. I now now Glynn did not have the care he should have had ,it makes me very sad because he deserved the best, XXXXX XXXXX such a gentle man who raised so much money for different charity's that was his life he loved it , when he needed help he did not get it . This makes me so sad and angry. I know we can not bring Glynn back but I feel I should do something in Glynns memory to stop this happening to anybody else. I know the conversations we have had are between us, all I was asking was to make it clear in my own mind. I will say my family has asked for a meeting with his specialist to ask what happened . Do not worry I am the only one who has seen our conversations , do you think I am over reacting. Thank you
No, I don't think you are.

It does seem like they did very little for him

I think you have a right to investigate.

I wish you good luck in your husband's memory

Please don't forget a positive rating for me. If you have more questions, just reply Angela
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)