Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Cardiology Expert
55099014

Hello. I was prescribed 2.5 mg of felodipine a couple of weeks

Customer Question

Hello. I was prescribed 2.5 mg of felodipine a couple of weeks ago after being on bisoprolol 2.5 mg for about three months.

initially, i put a fast heart rate down to coming off the bisoprolol.

However, after a couple of weeks, I am still experiencing fast hear rate, into the 90's within what seems like a couple of hours of taking the felodipine. before that, heart rate has been in 70's or even high 60's. Later in the day, it seems the heart rate comes down again. At bed time, it can be back to the 70's for example.

Can you advise what i should do, and if this is a likely side effect of the felodipine.

Should I stop taking the medicine and contact my doctor again for example, or will it just stabilise in time.
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Thanks for this question

Yes, this is likely a side effect

The medicine causes dilation of blood vessels and in response the heart rate increases.

I would ask your doctor to go on a different medication

Your heart rate is not dangerously high though so you have some time
I noticed that our chat is not complete.

My main goal is your 100% satisfaction and for you to consider this service excellent. If you are not 100% satisfied, just click reply and I will happily provide more information.