Dr .Saeed ahmed
Dr .Saeed ahmed, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS(R)/MRCP U.K(R), Senior Registrar Cardiology
16248889

Following a recently scheduled health check(every 2 years),

Following a recently scheduled health check(every 2 years), I was referred to a Cardiologist due to my irregular heart beat(which I have always had).
After an Echo Test, Angiogram & MRI, I was diagnosed with "non-compaction". The heart beat was a red herring.
I feel fine, walk daily and play golf twice a week.
I have been prescribed daily medication: ramapril- 1.25mg; bisoprolol - 1.25mg.
I am told that this medication could be for life? I am worried about this and the possible side effects? Also, what if I forget to take them? What if I refuse to take them and continue as before? Can I still take Cialis? Can I still enjoy a glass or 2 of wine? Garrett.
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr .Saeed ahmed replied 3 years ago.

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

Hello, Thank you for your question. I will try my best to help you with your questions. I need to ask few questions before first.

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

Do you get short of breath on mild activity ?

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

Do you have swelling of the feet ?

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

If possible send me the echo report.

Customer:

Customer:

Hi, thank you. No I don't get short of breath on any activity either walking or playing golf. Equally, I don't have swelling of my feet. I don't have Echo report, Sorry. I will try to get it. Garrett

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

Thank you for your reply.

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

On the basis of the symptoms it seems that you have mild LV non compaction. In this case most feared problem is that heart fails early in the age around 40-50 years of age and also arrythmias are common issue.

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

If you have none of the above symptoms that i had mentioned then it is a mild non compaction and only needs medicine like ACEi and betablockers to help control the pressure on the heart and heart rate.

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

At this stage it is all what you need, unless your holter shows arrythmias which need treatment or echo has shown reduced LV function.

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

Let me know if you have echo report. It will make my job easy to grade your problem.

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

..

Customer:

Customer:

Thank you. I will have Echo and MRI in the next few days and will e-mail them to you.

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

You are welcome.

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

I will wait for your reply. Kindly rate my answer if it was helpful. Question remains open even after rating and you can still ask as many questions on the same topic as you have.

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

Have a nice day.

Customer:

I attach copies of Echo & MRI. Can you tell me 1. Do you agree with diagnosis? 2. Do you agree with prescribed medication? 3. What are side-effects of medication? 4. What if I don't take medication? 5. What is long term prognosis? 6. Can I continue to use Cialis occasionally? 7. Can I consume alcohol in moderation?. 8. Is there anything I should avoid? Thank You. I will leave feedback on reply.

Full Size Image

Customer:

Full Size Image

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

It is LV non compaction syndrome.

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

I do not know the medicine you are taking ?

Customer:

Dr Ahmed,

Customer:

Dr Ahmed Ramapril - 1.25mg & bisoprolol = 1.25 mg daily. Could you try to answer some of my questions please particularly about side effects and use of other drugs and cialis, etc. I will be happy to leave feedback then, thanks. Garrett

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

Ramipril can cause angioedema, kidney dysfunction, bisoprolol can lead to sexual dysfunction and low heart rate. Cialis can be used as long as you do not take nitrates along it or your ejection fraction is less that 35% or blood pressure is less than 90 systolic.

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

you can take around 20grams of alcohol in one day safely.

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

High salt intake should be avoided as it will put more pressure on the non compacted LV and causes early symptoms of failure.

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

Prognosis depends on the extent if you do not have symptoms of heart failure like i had mentioned and ejection fraction is more than 40 then prognosis is good.

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

If you do not take your medicine more stress of heart and it will fail early.

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

I hope this answers your questions.

Dr .Saeed ahmed :

Customer:

Dr Ahmed, thank you for your comments.