Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am having an coronary angiography and have been asked to

I am having an coronary angiography and have been asked to shave my right groin area before the appointment .Does this mean I shave the top of my leg only ?
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.

Yes, this means that you shave only the top of the thigh, at the point where there is the crease where it meets the abdominal wall. If you lay down and feel in this crease, you can feel your pulse, and this is the location at which the needle stick will occur through which the catheter will thread. There should be an area that is 5-6 cm in every direction around the point at which the pulse can be felt.

If you are unable to feel the pulse, then it would be better to shave along the entire crease, but it does not need to extend more than about 5 cm down the thigh, and it does not need to extend towards the scrotum for any distance.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.